Free & Reduced-Price Meals
Children need healthy meals to learn.  Pasadena ISD Child Nutrition Services  offers healthy meals every school day. Elementary and secondary school breakfast is now FREE for all students. 

Elementary school lunch costs $ 1.90 and secondary school lunch costs $ 2.40. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals.

1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? No. Complete one application to apply for free or reduced-price meals. Use one Free and Reduced-Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed  application to: Child Nutrition Department, 1515 Cherrybrook Ln., Pasadena, TX 77502, 713-740-0224 or 713-740-0146.

2. Who can get free meals? Children in households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits (formerly the Food Stamp Program) or TANF can get free meals regardless of your income. Your benefit letter from the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) is your documentation for free meals. If you have not already received a letter from your school stating that your household is eligible for free meals, you may take your HHSC benefit letter to the school nutrition office to be certified for free meals. If a child in your household is directly certified due to receiving SNAP or TANF benefits, all children of your household are eligible for free meals. If a child in your household is not included on the Letter of Direct Certification, sent to you by the LEA, or if you have questions, please call 713-740-00224 or 713-740-0146

3. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced-price meals? In most cases no, however, read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call 713-740-0224 or 713-740-0146 if you have questions or a member of your household is not listed on the letter. If your household does not receive SNAP or TANF, your children may still be eligible to receive free meals if your household income is less than theamounts listed on the federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Please complete the application and submit it to the school nutrition office. Head Start/Early Head Start students, Even Start children, and certain foster children also qualify for free meals.

4. Can foster children get free meals? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

5. Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals? Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant quality for free meals. If you haven't been told your children will get free meals, please call 713-740-0249 or 713-740-0250 to see if your child(ren) qualify.

6. Who can get reduced-price meals? Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the limits on the Federal Income Chart, shown on this letter.

7. My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one? Yes, your child's application is only good for the school year and for the first 30 operating days of the new school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

8. I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please fill out an application.

9. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.

10. If I don't qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving SNAP, TANF or other benefits (such as unemployment benefits).

11. What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to John Piscacek, 1515 Cherrybrook Ln., Pasadena, TX 77502, 713-740-0023. 

12. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

13 Who should I include as members of my household? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

14. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime pay, include that amount as income. If you do not normally get overtime pay, do not include it as income. If you have had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

15. We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance as income? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military House Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance.

16. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone; is their combat pay counted as income? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment, and it wasn't received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

17. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?To find out how to apply for other assistance benefits, dial 2-1-1.

18. Where can I find the new Income Eligibility Chart? Download a copy here.


If you have other questions or need help, call 713-740-0146

Si necesita ayuda, por favor llame al teléfono: 713-740-0146