In the news:
Southmore band earns medals at contest
The Southmore Intermediate band
participated in the annual Pasadena Invitational Solo and
Ensemble Contest recently. The band captured 49 bronze medals
and 11 silver medals for a total of 60 medals.
Eight students received first division
silver medals for performing a class two solos. Students honored
include Jessica Contreras, flute; Paul Garcia, flute; Nallely
Gutierrez, clarinet; Isabel Garcia, alto saxophone; Edgar
Zarazua, tenor saxophone; Amanda Villarreal, trumpet; Jose
Guerra, trumpet and Charles Pena, French horn.
Students receiving first division bronze
medals for performing a class three solo include:
- Flute: Jocelyne Casso, Daisy Flores,
Kassandra Ortiz, Daisy Pena, and Ana Reyna.
- Bb Clarinet: Edgar Chavez, Alma
Contreras, Eric Marin, Lurdes Munoz, Yessenia Perez, Janet
Rodriguez, and Xanthe Sanchez.
- Bass Clarinet: Jorge Martinez, Wendy
Orozco, Laura Ramirez, and Iliana Vazquez.
- Alto Saxophone: Pete Martinez
- Trumpet: Christian Figueroa, and
- French Horn: Brandon Edmisson
- Trombone: David Correa, David
Driskill, and Juan Gallegos.
- Euphonium: Julio Barrera.
- Snare Drum: Evelyn Chirinos, Jesus
Rivera, Melanie Salazar, and John Tran.
- Xylophone: Erick Montfort
In addition, Jessica Contreras, Paul
Garcia, and Kassandra Ortiz won silver medals for performing as
a flute trio.
The following students won bronze medals
for class three ensembles:
- Flute Trio: Jocelyne Casso, Daisy
Pena, and Ana Reyna.
- Clarinet Trio: Nallely Gutierrez,
Daniela Jauregui and Isel Sevilla.
- Misc.Woodwind Ensemble: Edgar Chavez,
Alma Contreras, Jorge Martinez, Lourdes Munoz and Yessenia
- Trumpet Quartet: Jesus Adame,
Christian Figureroa, Oscar Sanchez and Amanda Villarreal.
- Brass Sextet: Julio Barrera, David
Correa, Jesus Garza, Jose Guerra, Charles Pena, and Amanda