Pasadena High School recently held its Alumni Wall of Honor Induction Ceremony adding John Eddie Williams, Jr. and John Morgan to their distinguished group.
Visitors were welcomed by PHS Assistant Principal Steven Martin and enjoyed student performances by the choir, Junior ROTC, cheerleading squad and Eagle Escorts drill team.
PHS Principal Joe Saavedra presented points of pride for the campus and Deputy Superintendent of Campus Development DeeAnn Powell congratulated inductees on behalf of Pasadena ISD administration.
The induction ceremony was the main event as Pasadena City Councilman Cary Bass introduced Dr. John Morgan, a 1959 graduate of PHS.
Morgan is the senior pastor of Sagemont Church, a church he established in 1966. He attended Pasadena schools his entire life, starting with Kruse Elementary, then Jackson Intermediate and finally Pasadena High School.
Morgan shared many memories of his time at PHS.
“I find myself wandering down memory lane tonight,” Morgan said. “From the depths of my heart, I want to say that my time at Pasadena High School, was the highlight of my life. I can still recall the names of all my teachers, coaches and principals. This school has always been and continues to be a place of character and I knew even as a teenager that those who were in authority over me had something I wanted to have for the rest of my life.”
Randy Drake, a childhood pal and fellow 1972 alum of John Eddie Williams, Jr., introduced his friend and shared with the crowd key points of Williams’ career as a successful attorney and managing partner at Williams Kherkher Law Firm in Houston.
“I feel honored to be among the distinguished few on this wall of honor,” Williams said. “I look back and think of the years I attended Pasadena High School. As a freshman, everyone was taller and bigger than me, then as a senior I thought I was the king. What I remember most about those years is that my teachers and coaches instilled in me character, integrity and taught me right from wrong. I am so grateful for those years and appreciate the educational experience I received as a PHS Eagle.”
Former inductees are:
- Dr. E. Don Turner – Class of 1952
- Mickey McCarty – Class of 1964
- Roberta Pugh – Class of 1971
- Bill Newcomb – Class of 1956
- T.J. Mills – Class of 1972
- Shirley Bonner – Class of 1955
- Calvin Powitzky – Class of 1964
- Sylvia Spradling – Class of 1964
- Ben Meador – Class of 1957
- J.B. Isaac – Class of 1929
- Don Spradling – Class of 1962
- Harry Riley – Class of 1943
- Jerry Bull – Class of 1956
- Frank Hale – Class of 1963
- Larry Forehand – Class of 1962
- Francis Powell – Class of 1955
- Frank Young – Class of 1958
- Weldon Stony-Phillips – Class of 1933